Flexible Worker Training-Course Outline
As you may know, workplace flexibility has reached a tipping point among employers. When we talk about flexibility, we’re not just talking about flexible schedules. We’re talking about rethinking when, where, and how team members do their best work. When developed properly, flexible workplaces set up the ideal win-win situation where the organization meets its strategic needs while team members better integrate work and personal life.
“81 percent of survey respondents say they would be more loyal to their employers if they had flexible work options.”
FlexJobs’ 5th Annual Super Survey 2016
The e-work.com “Flex Fundamentals for Employees” module properly frames your program purpose, requirements, and expectations for those who wish to participate as flex workers. This e-Learning module is designed to provide team members with the insights, knowledge, processes, tools and practical skills they need for seeking approval and preparing for becoming a high performing flexible worker. Properly preparing team members for their workplace flexibility experience involves four key stages that, when executed properly, will pay off handsomely for the individual and the organization. While there may be no shortage of individuals with a high interest in participating, much of that interest is likely to be for the wrong reasons.
This module prepares workers for flexible work by learning:
1. Ways that flexibility can help their organization succeed: Participants must realize early on that while flex work provides employees with tangible personal benefits, from a management perspective, the program is looked upon as a smart operational strategy. In this section, team members learn:
- The potential impact of flex activity in the organization
- The business case for flexibility
- Details on the program strategy and objectives
As a key takeaway, participants will learn that an argument that demonstrates how their work and performance will improve will be much more relevant in their flex approval than any personal gains such as commuting time and fuel saved.
2. The flexibility program guidelines: There are many considerations that go into the design of a flexible work program. In determining the flex options, your planning team challenged traditional assumptions about when, where, and how individuals do their best work. This section is fully customized to present an overview of your flexible work guidelines, providing participants with essential program detail they need to know including:
- A snapshot of each flex option available
- Key program logistics, including employee appropriateness, developing participation requests, work at home safety, and other important considerations
With this knowledge, team members are able to grasp how the program works, learn the process for determining eligibility and which flex work option(s) are ideal for their specific situation.
3. An employee’s role in workplace flexibility success: Understanding how to work in a flexible team will enable individuals to better advance team and personal goals, maintain team connections, and stay aligned with the organization’s core values. In this section, team members learn the role and responsibilities they each have in ensuring flexible work success by:
- Identifying skills and behaviors that need strengthening through a Readiness Assessment
- Learning and adopting specific flex success factors in their daily routines
Team members are reminded of their role as a team player, to improve their work and communication skills, and to help make flexible work arrangements a success. This knowledge is reinforced with interactive activities and exercises.
4. How to discuss Flex with their manager Team members are provided strategies and guidance for making a strong case with their manager for flexible work. This section provides tips for thinking through a flexible work request, and what to do next if your manager says “yes” or “no.” This section provides request guidance, tips and forms including:
- The steps for requesting flex
- Thinking through their request
- Planning their request
- What to do if their request is denied
- Next steps if their request is approved
Team members are reminded that their organization offers flexible work as part of an overall strategy to improve performance. Therefore, a request to participate in the flex work program must presented with that perspective. While management encourages flexibility practices, some requests to participate may not be approved.
This module is designed to be a comprehensive source of information, knowledge, processes and resources team members can utilize in preparation for their new flexible workplace roles. Upon completion, team members will have a clear understanding of the program drivers, organizational goals, criteria for selection, making a case for participation, and being a part of the flexible work culture the organization is striving to create.
Customizing Your Course: This e-Learning module is easily customized with your content, messaging and images using our exclusive Rapid e-Learning Development Engine. We start you off with our fully detailed best practices content on MS Word documents. You simply edit these documents with your content and images and return them to your e-work.com production team. We then map your changes into our automated e-Learning system, and you’ll typically see your changes in the online module within 24 hours.
See the Evolving Workplace e-Learning Series: Technology-enabled workplace change can only be successful if the people change too. The e-work.com Evolving Workplace e-Learning Series modules accelerate workplace change through a deliberate mindshift in individuals, teams and the enterprise to work together in new ways.
Click here to learn about the Work Practice Change e-Learning Series modules.